What are the advance behavioral sciences?
olistic, state-of-the-art, evidence-based evaluations and treatments for those with a mental health struggle.
When our team set out to research this topic we quickly realized more primary (Basic) research was being carried out than we imagined. So, we decided to focus on secondary research which is to seek out who the most accomplished leaders were and apply their findings in a term we call: a multi-strategy care approach. Another term used to describe this focus is Applied Science: taking new found evidence-based findings from the frontiers of brain science and incorporating these into clients’ treatment programs with an attitude of continuous and ongoing improvements. This means what we did last year will probably have elements of it that are dated next year and will be replaced by a new treatment.
ADVANCES IN BRAIN SCIENCE HAS GROWN EXPONENTIALLY. FOR EXAMPLE:
- The health science community have learned and predominantly agrees that the brain is neuroplastic, which means that it can change. Ten years ago a wide-spread belief was that the brain is hard-wired, making it difficult for a person to change their psychological functions.
- Within the health science community, a wide-spread belief is that we still know very little about how human psychology functions. We are still only scratching the surface in this vast exploration and that significantly more research will have to occur if we are to become more effective at helping the multitudes who struggle with their mental health.
- We have learned that overcoming a mental health challenge is indeed possible for most people. We just need to realize that change occurs at a pace slower than what we want. Remember the days when a friend would go to a treatment center for addiction for 20 or 30 days? A recent study conducted by Psychology Today reported that the top addiction centres in America have durations of 3, 5, 8 and up to 12 months. It takes time for the brain to change, hence we need to create a recovery program unique to each person’s individual pace. As such, we need to be willing to stay and walk along side them until full recovery.
The modality of treatments that include advanced behavioral science and traditional treatments in our Alive Mental Health Recovery programs include:
- Psychological assessments to determine client-specific treatment
- Group therapy
- Mentor relationships
- Web-based matrix to measure and celebrate incremental progress
- CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy)
- Eye movement desensitization and reprocessing
- Wilderness adventures
- Engagement Therapy
- Laughter and Play Therapy
- Cardiovascular activity in nature
- A social media app for clients, so that they can remain connected after their stay at the Alive Centre for Wellness